[Openswan Users] Problem of routing under openswan

Herbert Xu herbert at gondor.apana.org.au
Wed Jun 30 10:13:04 CEST 2004

mcr at xelerance.com wrote:

> You can't do that with 26sec, because the SPD is yet-another-firewall,
> and it is applied before the routing is.
>
> The openswan team disagrees with seperating security and routing. There
> should be only one firewall, and it should include routing as well.

Well I personally disagree with your position.

IPsec is about authentication, while firewalling is about authorisation.
Authentication should be performed regardless of which interface the
packet arrived on.

> You may be able to write SPD entries for the parts you do not want to
> go through the tunnel, and mark them as pass.

Yes you can.  I made a typo in the excerpt that I gave earlier in
this thread, so let me give the corrected version:

conn workaround
	left=192.168.4.1
	leftsubnet=10.2.0.0/16
	right=192.168.4.2