[Openswan Users] [NAT-T] Problem when the server is NATed

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Fri Jun 25 16:50:42 CEST 2004

Gabriele Buscone wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a VPN connection between a Win2000/XP machine with
> a openswan server.
> I succeeded in doing this when the client and the server aren't NATed or
> when only the client is NATed; but when the server behind NAT, even if
 > the client is not NATed, I got an error.

I haven't tested a NATed server myself yet. But I do know that you need
to forward UDP port 4500 from the NAT router to the Openswan server.

> conn road
>         # The remote user.
>         #
>         right=%any
>         rightprotoport=17/1701
>         rightrsasigkey=%cert

There does not seem to be a rightcert= or rightid= statement. Are you
sure this connection loads OK?

 >         rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv,%all

%all is only recommended for testing purposes.

> conn road2
>         leftprotoport=17/4500
>         rightprotoport=17/4500

This connection is bogus. You should probably disable it.

Jacco

Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl