[Openswan Users] Compile error for 2.2

Ferdinand O. Tempel pw at linuxops.net
Tue Jun 22 18:56:16 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 17:22, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Ken Bantoft wrote:
> > I don't get this (should be harmless) error.  What version of GCC are
> > you using?
>
> I also get this error, on a current version of Debian unstable. Been
> getting it for awhile, and just assumed that starter wasn't working yet.
> :)

Ran into it too, and Ken has the solution: Comment out -Werror from
programs/Makefile.program. It's a compiler issue, not a starter issue.

Apparently, gcc 3.3.3 works fine with these flags. And since I couldn't
locate a changelog for 3.3.4, I can't verify what would make the
difference between the two.

Probable solutions:
* Remove -Werror from the CFLAGS used in compiling programs.
* Remove the cause of the warning, i.e. the orphan(ed?) function.
* Fix GCC into not spitting out a warning when it runs into an orphaned
function call...probably not an option since it's apparently a feature
now :-)

Maybe someone knowledgable with starter can tell us whether this
particular function is still in use, or will be in use in the future?
--
Regards,

Ferdinand O. Tempel

Your friendly neighborhood linuxops.net administrator.