[Openswan Users] Hardware encryption support - VIA PadLock?

Ken Bantoft ken at xelerance.com
Fri Jun 11 23:31:59 CEST 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Nate Carlson wrote:

> Looks like the new VIA PadLock processors support offloading of AES
> encryption, and there are already patches to CryptoAPI to support it:
>
> http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/padlock/
>
> If I'm thinking correctly, the versions of Openswan that use CryptoAPI for
> AES should automatically benefit from this. Is that true? If so, anyone
> done any performance tests with this yet?

On 2.6, if it's supported via the CryptoAPI in the kernel then it
should work transparently.  For 2.4, might be a different story, but won't
know until someone has one running.

> At $41 for a 1ghz unit that should support the encryption features, that's
> a really sweet deal, if it actually performs.

Someone send me one :)

--
Ken Bantoft			VP Business Development
ken at xelerance.com		Xelerance Corporation

The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet.
        -- William Gibson