[Openswan Users] BUG with Freeswan/Openswan and SNMPD

Peter B. openswan at linuxnet.ch
Thu Jun 10 16:07:29 CEST 2004

Ken Bantoft wrote:

>Interesting.  I've been using snmpd to get ipsec0 interface stats for 5
>years now, and have not seen this.  What version(s) of Free/Openswan were
>you running?

Hi Ken

Here it is:

Openswan:
Linux Openswan Ucvs2002Mar11_19:19:03/K2.1.2rc3 (klips)

Kernel:
Linux version 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl_48.rhfc1.at
(bachbuilder at heretic.physik.fu-berlin.de) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030422
(Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-6)) #1 Fri May 7 19:39
-> Patches Kernel from atrpms.net, I also tried it with self compiled
openswan. I got the same behavior.

I'm using Fedora Core 1 as VPN Machine. I also tried Fedora Core 2 with
"old" 2.4 Kernel from fc1.

>This is the first report I've seen of it.

Yes, I was also searching the internet and could not find anything about it.

I can reproduce it on a new machine:

1. Install Fedora Core 1
2. Install apt-get and do a full update of the system.
3. Install the openswan kernel from atrpms.net
4. Install openswan userland tools from atrpms.net
5. Start snmpd and do the interface statistic with CACTI
-> After some minutes I get the kernel oops.
Then no reboot is possible.
When I do a "ifconfig" or "ip address" these commands just hang. I
cannot remotely reboot the machine anymore.

Thanks

Peter B.