[Openswan Users] BUG with Freeswan/Openswan and SNMPD

Ken Bantoft ken at xelerance.com
Thu Jun 10 14:05:35 CEST 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Peter B. wrote:

> Hi List
>
> After some months of troubleshooting I found the solution for my problem:
>
> When you use snmpd on your vpn-machine you will get a lot of troubles!
>
> Error behavior:
>
> VPNs are going up and everything is working, after some time you will
> get the following message:
>
> As a workaround I disabled now on all our firewall/vpn gateways the
> snmpd daemon on kernel 2.4.x machines.

Interesting.  I've been using snmpd to get ipsec0 interface stats for 5
years now, and have not seen this.  What version(s) of Free/Openswan were
you running?

> THIS PROBLEM DOES NOT OCCUR WHEN YOU USE KERNEL 2.6.X AND OPENSWAN!
> On these machines I can use snmpd without any problems.
>
> Disabling snmpd on the machines is a temporary workaround and not the
> solution for the problem.
>
> Does someone know here if this is a known bug of freeswan/openswan? I
> couldn't find any other people with the same problem like I have.

This is the first report I've seen of it.

--
Ken Bantoft			VP Business Development
ken at xelerance.com		Xelerance Corporation

The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet.
        -- William Gibson