[Openswan Users] Tunnels come up, but not all traffic goes through

Matt Harrell matt at mattharrell.net
Tue Jun 8 14:22:34 CEST 2004

I was running FreeSWAN 2.06 on FC1 to connect to 5 tunnels (subnets) to
work.  This was working great.  Then I upgraded to FC2 and started using
OpenSWAN (RPM package 2.1.2-1.fc2).  I can get all of the tunnels to come
up, but not all types of traffic are making it to hosts at work.  I can
ping anything just fine.  I can SSH to a Linux server.  However, just
about everything else I've tried fails, not getting past the work firewall
(I administer it).  The work firewall has not changed, and all of this
worked just fine before the FC2 upgrade.

I'm using iptables/netfilter on my home Linux box.  Is there something
different that needs to be done in iptables to get traffic like Terminal
Server (3389/tcp) to work through ipsec properly?  The problem does not
appear to be with rule settings on the work firewall.  I tried changing
the configuration of the VPN so that it does not use rules (i.e., it's
wide open), and the problem is still there.

I REALLY want to get this working.  My only other alternative is to
purchase a Linksys VPN/router and use that (like many of my coworkers do).
 I'd rather not have to go that route.

--
Matt Harrell
http://www.mattharrell.net