[Openswan Users] Help for pluto & whack problem

desantis at csr.unibo.it desantis at csr.unibo.it
Tue Jun 8 16:40:01 CEST 2004

Hi all!
I installed Openswan to use Xauth, and I tried to connect (using freeswan
everything works fine):

[root at dhcppc1 filippo]# ipsec auto --up conn
030 ignoring message from whack with bad magic 2003331866; should be 1869114140;
probably wrong version

Searching for suggestions about the error message, I found this:

(http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/linux-ipsec-0405/71/1.html)
"....
| When I do "ipsec auto --up test" I get:
| "030 ignoring message from whack with bad magic 2003331869; should be
| 2003331866;"
| I get this on both boxes...

This means that the "whack" program and "pluto" program do not match.
You should install them from the same release of FreeS/WAN.
..."

Below, you'll find the result of "pluto --version" and e "whack --version"
commands

[root at dhcppc1 filippo]# /usr/lib/ipsec/pluto --version
Linux FreeS/WAN 2.04 X.509-1.4.8 LDAP_V3 PLUTO_USES_KEYRR
Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  Henry Spencer, Richard Guy Briggs,
    D. Hugh Redelmeier, Sandy Harris, Claudia Schmeing,
    Michael Richardson, Angelos D. Keromytis, John Ioannidis.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your
option) any later version.  See <http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.txt>.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General
Public License (file COPYING in the distribution) for more details.

[root at dhcppc1 filippo]# ipsec whack --version
Linux FreeS/WAN 2.04
Copyright (C) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002  Henry Spencer, Richard Guy Briggs,
    D. Hugh Redelmeier, Sandy Harris, Claudia Schmeing,
    Michael Richardson, Angelos D. Keromytis, John Ioannidis.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the
Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your
option) any later version.  See <http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.txt>.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General
Public License (file COPYING in the distribution) for more details.

The only difference between the two results is "...X.509-1.4.8 LDAP_V3
PLUTO_USES_KEYRR...", is this the reason because it doesn't work?

Filippo