[Openswan Users] FreeSWAN, Wireless Windows 98/ME/2K/XP RoadWarriors, DHCP overIPsec - overview

Jeannot Langlois jlanglois at actares.com
Mon Jun 7 10:26:58 CEST 2004

Hello guys,

I am trying to evaluate the required work/effort to perform a
RoadWarrior-to-SUBNET setup.

I'd like to build up numerous IPsec tunnels from one LINUX gateway
running FreeSWAN (2.05) and kernel 2.4.X to various Windows 98/ME/2K/XP
RoadWarriors.  The IPsec tunnels will be required as the LAN is actually
an untrusted wireless 802.11b network.  The LINUX gateway running
FreeSWAN MUST be able to take the tunnels up/down automatically as WIFI
clients requests IP address leases are issued/revoked using DHCP over IPsec.

The setup would look like this:

   (ethernet interface)
      [INTERNET SIDE]
    ==================
         FREESWAN
          LINUX
         GATEWAY
    ==================
        [LAN SIDE]
     (wifi interface)
         / | | | \
        /  | | |  \
       /   | | |   \
      /    | | |    \

     A     B C D     E

A, B, C, D and E are all Windows-based clients (running either 98, ME,
2K or XP) using 802.11b wireless cards (actually there will be more
clients, but this is just a basic example).

Let's suppose the LAN uses the 10.1.1.0/24 subnet address space.
There would be NO NAT, as everything would happen within the same
10.1.1.0/24 subnet.
I'd like the RoadWarriors NOT to be able to see each other, but just the
gateway, so they can access the internet using secure tunnels.  In this
case, we consider the INTERNET side to be trusted (I know this might
sound funny but... :)), so the tunnel ends on the FREESWAN GATEWAY's LAN
SIDE, and firewall rules on the FREESWAN GATEWAY should not interfere
with FREESWAN.
A DNS server listening on the wifi interface on the FREESWAN GATEWAY
will be offering DNS services to the Windows RoadWarriors.

So far I have only established SUBNET-to-SUBNET tunnels in all the
FreeSWAN experiments I have been attempting to this day.

As this is the first time I am attempting such a RoadWarrior-SUBNET
setup with FreeSWAN (and I am just starting to read basic/advanced tips
on the freeswan.ca documentation), I was wondering about the Windows
side's configuration, and feasability.

According to the interoperability summary I've seen on the freeswan.ca
site, I believe that RSA keys are NOT possible in the Windows 2K/XP case
and ONLY the same Pre-Shared Key can be used by all the Windows
clients?  Is this right?  What about Windows 98 and ME ?

As the windows clients have to emulate some kind of IPsec router, I
believe that they have to be running some sort of IPsec VPN client
software (the Nortel IPsec VPN client comes to mind, or would any other
IPsec-style client do the job)?  Is this assumption correct?

Is this VPN client software required on ALL the different RoadWarriors
Windows platforms:  98, ME, 2K, XP ?

Most importantly, are there any OpenSource versions of these client
software available for these Windows versions?  We wouldn't like to buy
licenses just for experiments...

I've heard that Windows 2K and XP do NOT need such client software, as
they integrate IPsec functionality already.  Is that true?

The IP addresses will be allocated dynamically to the Windows
RoadWarriors using a DHCP daemon listening on the FREESWAN GATEWAY's LAN
interface.  I've seen many people asking for advices about DHCP over
IPsec.  Is that really a problem?  If yes, what can be done about it ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answers and/or pointers to pertinent FreeSWAN documentation will be
greatly appreciated,

--
Jeannot Langlois
Programmeur-Analyste / Software Developer

http://www.actares.com