[Openswan Users] WinXP NAT-T L2TP Disconnect

Trevor Benson tbenson at a-1networks.com
Sat Jun 5 14:34:56 CEST 2004

Ever since I upgraded the windows XP system with Microsofts NAT-T patch,
and adjusted protoports to both udp/1701 I seem to have issues with
closing the tunnel.  It establishes without any problem, it works great.

Now when I choose disconnect from the icon next to the clock, my tunnel
on openswan just stays up as if its running.  If I ipconfig /release, it
drops, and a renew gets a new address, but after I confirm my IP address
is established, any further attempt to ping the gateway returns an
ISAKMP msg, and checking openswan shows the tunnel is stuck open, and
requires the tunnel to be forced down to reconnect.

Current version running is openswan 1.03 using x.509 certs.

Trevor Benson