[Openswan Users] No ipsec0 device, and insmod error

Ken Bantoft ken at xelerance.com
Fri Jun 4 21:53:02 CEST 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Matt Harrell wrote:

> I sent e-mail before about problems I'm having with the ipsec
> implementation in FC2 (kernel 2.6).  As I said earlier, I'm using
> OpenSWAN now, and having some luck.  However, I can only get one tunnel
> (i.e., one subnet on the dst side) to come up.  Even if I just work with
> that tunnel, though, I don't have full functionality.  Pings to my work
> PC get there, but I can't, for instance, Terminal Service anything at
> the work subnet.  Also, DNS to the internal interface of the work
> firewall does not work (it used to under FreeSWAN 2.06, and this is
> generally how it's done in our remote user tunnels).  When I check
> tcpdump on the firewall, I see the ISAKMP packets arrive on the external
> firewall interface, but nothing comes out the internal interface when I
> Terminal Service.  It seems like it must be something in the work
> firewall, then, but the fact that this worked just fine under FC1 and
> FreeSWAN 2.06 have me thinking otherwise.
>
> Also, looking at the boot messages, I noticed this:
>
> ipsec_setup: insmod: can't read 'ipsec': No such file or directory

That's okay.  We should surpress the message - it just means KLIPS wasn't
loaded.  Since you are on 2.6, this is expected behaviour.

> Another thing I've noticed, but until now assumed was just a difference
> between FreeSWAN and the 2.6 kernel implementation of ipsec, is that I
> no longer have an ipsec0 interface.  It's not listed in ifconfig as it
> used to be.  Is this normal?

That's normal.  2.6's IPsec stack does not have a virtual device.

--
Ken Bantoft			VP Business Development
ken at xelerance.com		Xelerance Corporation

The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet.
        -- William Gibson