[Openswan Users] kernel 2.4.26 + Openswan 2.1.4 + net-snmp-5.1 = Kernel Oops

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Thu Jul 29 16:48:51 CEST 2004

Nate Carlson wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Martin Bene wrote:
>>Problem: snmp daemon triggers a kernel oops when ipsec is configured on
>>the box.

> Just curious, are you on Debian or another distro?

Other, I'm running gentoo. However, to keep conditions reasonably
simple, I've used a plain kernel.org 2.4.26 kernel + openswan from
tar.gz. BTW, strongswan triggers the same problem, haven't tried plain
freeswan. As stated in previous mail, older superfreeswan 1.99.8 doesn't
  have the problem.

> I just opened a bug for this yesterday; if you could add your info to it,
> it'd be great:
>
> http://bugs.xelerance.com/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000144

I'll add my information to the bug.

Not sure if it's really the same issue though:

you write "box to become very unresponsive to network traffic".

In my case:
  * kernel oops triggerd by snmpwalk when starting to access interface
information
  * snmp daemon hangs afterwards, ifconfig hangs etc.

Just loading the ipsec module isn't enough, ipsec must be started /
configured to trigger the problem.

Not at the box right now, I'll attach the decoded kernel oops in a few
hours.

Have you checked your system logs to see if you got a kernel oops as well?

Bye, Martin