[Openswan Users] X.509 key usage

Gregor Bethlen saphira at bethlen.de
Tue Jul 20 09:40:18 CEST 2004

Andreas Steffen <andreas.steffen at strongsec.net> schrieb am 19.07.04 16:19:14:

> Hi Gregor,

Hello Andreas,

> The IETF draft document <draft-ietf-pki4ipsec-ikecert-profile-00.txt>
>
>   "The Internet IP Security PKI Profile of IKEv1/ISAKMP, IKEv2, and PKIX"
>
> recommends the following:
>
> 4.1.3. X.509 Certificate Extensions
>
>      Conforming applications MUST recognize extensions which must or may
>      be marked critical according to this specification. These extensions
>      are: KeyUsage, SubjectAltName, and BasicConstraints.

So, keyUsage must be recognized (whatever that means).

>      Implementations SHOULD generate certificates such that the extension
>      criticality bits are set in accordance with PKIX and this document.
>      With respect to PKIX compliance, implementations processing
>      certificates MAY ignore the value of the criticality bit for
>      extensions that are supported by that implementation, but MUST
>      support the criticality bit for extensions that are not supported by
>      that implementation. That is, if an implementation supports (and thus
>      is going to process) a given extension, then it isn't necessary to
>      reject the certificate if the criticality bit is different from what
>      PKIX states it must be. However, if an implementation does not
>      support an extension that PKIX mandates be critical, then the
>      implementation must reject the certificate.

If an implementation does not support an extension that PKIX defines, the implementation wouldn't be PKIX-conform, would it?

> [...]
>

> As you can see the matter is quite complex and it must be taken into
> consideration that not many Certification Authorities strictly conform
> to the PKIX profile. The introduction of strict keyUsage checks might
> potentially break a considerable number of existing IPsec applications.

OK, didn't thought about that.

> Gregor, in your opinion, what would be the gain in terms of
> increased security by heeding the keyUsage flags? Which would be the
> most important checks you'd like to see implemented in *swan?

My question about (extended)keyUsage was just for information. I haven't any wishes about checks ;-) It's just from the point of view that a generally security-tip is to forbid everything EXCEPT the things needed. For certificates, this would be (extended)keyUsage. But I must be honest, I don't have an example how this could be a security-risk ...

Thanks for information,

Gregor