[Openswan Users] X.509 key usage

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongsec.net
Mon Jul 19 17:45:40 CEST 2004

What if *swan is the client and Windows the LT2P server?

IPsec is a peer-to-peer protocol and doesn't differentiate between
client and server side. Therefore it would be difficult to enforce
authentication client and/or server EKUs. Pluto would have to take
into account the [left|right]protoport settings and do some risky
guesswork. As far as I know Windows uses a machine certificate for
IPsec authentication and an optional user certificate for the L2TP/PPP
login on top of IPsec. Am I right in the assumption that the client EKU
is used in the user certificates only but not in IPsec machine
certificates?

Regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                   e-mail: andreas.steffen at strongsec.com
strongSec GmbH                    home:   http://www.strongsec.com
Alter Zürichweg 20                phone:  +41 1 730 80 64
CH-8952 Schlieren (Switzerland)   fax:    +41 1 730 80 65