[Openswan Users] VPN on UML

Simon Matthews simon at paxonet.com
Fri Jul 2 17:36:48 CEST 2004

Michael,

At 05:23 PM 7/2/04 -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     Simon> Are there any special considerations to running
>     Simon> Free/OpenS/WAN on a UML machine? Has anyone solved the
>     Simon> routing issues that seem to derive from a routing table like
>     Simon> this:
>
>     Simon> # route -n Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway
>     Simon> Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 127.0.0.0 127.0.0.1
>     Simon> 255.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 lo 0.0.0.0 1.2.3.101 0.0.0.0 UG 1 0 0 eth0
>
>     Simon> Where 1.2.3.101 is also the UML machine's IP address.
>
>   In other words, you haven't got a proper network between the host and
>the UMLs.
>
>   If you don't want to to networking, then don't.
>   If you do, then do it properly. Don't play games.

With respect, please don't comment if you don't understand what is going on.

I have a working UML machine, provided by a commercial virtual host
provider. I don't have control over the network configuration (well, I can
change it, but the machine probably won't work if I do), but I do have
working networking. Heck, I don't even know where the machine is hosted, I
only access it via the Internet.

Now maybe there is some better way the UML networking could be configured
-- such that Free/OpenS/WAN would work -- answers to solve that problem
would be welcome.

Note that in my original email, I changed the first 3 octets of my real IP
address to 1.2.3.

Simon