[Openswan Users] Problems with OpenSwan - Win2K both behind NAT

Sauro Saltini saltini at shc.it
Thu Jul 1 21:28:12 CEST 2004

I've succesfully installed and configured an OpenSwan box (behind NAT)
following Nate Carlson's Howto and the whole thing works perfectly
with Win 2K / XP clients having a Public IP (no NAT).

Trying to connect from the same clients placed behind a NAT gateway
the first part of the connection seems ok (ISAKMP SA established) but
after this i receive the message:

cannot respond to IPsec SA request because no connection is known for
192.168.1.0/24===192.168.2.2:4500[<Certificate for
OpenSwan>]...xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4500[<Certificate for Win2k
Client>]===192.168.99.146/32

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the public address of NAT box at client side
and 192.168.99.146/32 is the client LAN IP.

in my ipsec.conf I have configured two connections :

conn roadwarrior-net
	leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
	also=roadwarrior

conn roadwarrior
	left=192.168.2.2
	leftnexthop=192.168.2.1
	leftcert=xxxxx.pem
	right=%any
	pfs=yes
	auto=add

When I connect with a client with real IP assigned the connection
roadwarrior-net is started and IPsec SA is established correctly.

Can anyone explain me how exactly OpenSwan chooses the right
connection to start ?

Many thanks in advance.

Sauro Saltini.