[Openswan Users] about to give up

Paul Wouters paul at xtdnet.nl
Sun Feb 15 16:57:58 CET 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, mark wrote:

> #1 ERROR: asynchronous network error report on eth0 for message to
> 100.0.0.4 port 500, complainant 100.0.0.4: Connection refused [errno
> 111,origin ICMP type 3 code 3 (not authenticated).

The other end does not seem to be running anything on port 500. Hence
the "connection refused" message. Either no ipsec is oncifugred on
100.0.0.4, or it is misconfigured and didn't start properly. If this
is openswan, check the error logs when starting. It always logs fatal
problems

> I assumed this would be some sort of firewall error, except the
> firewalls are OFF on both machines.

It has nothing to do with firewall rules.

"In discussing women, we discovered that using electrical terminology-
 impedance, reluctance, resistance- that we had a deeper understanding of
 the situation"
                     --- Richard Feynman