[Openswan Users] OpenSwan in RPM?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Feb 15 12:36:40 CET 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 10:02:20PM -0500, Ken Bantoft wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, John P Santos wrote:
> > Will Xelerance ever release some nifty Fedora or Redhat RPMs to
> > simplify install as in the regular FreeS/WAN.
> >
> > I prefer to use OpenS/WAN because of the x509 and other patches
> > included, but I've had serious problems trying to install
> > FreeS/WAN and previously SuperFreeS/WAN because the install
> > scripts didn't find kernel config, and I wish to continue to use
> > stock kernels in Fedora for the next while...
> >
> > Any idea when there will be binary packages about?

> We're working on the packaging/integration issues with Fedora right
> now, and should hopefull get that stuff resolved shortly.  Sadly,
> it's not just RPM builds (whcih you can pretty much do with "make
> rpm" now), but /etc/sysconfig/ level stuff too, so Openswan and
> ipsec-tools can somewhat co-exist.

If you are willing to go the standard not-yet-fully-integrated way of
setting up openswan you can start off the RH 7.3/8.0/9 and FC1 rpms at

	http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/name/openswan/

Takes off the burden of building the kernel modules and userspace
tools, but as Ken wrote, you will have to figure out the configuration
details and the (non-)interaction with Red Hat Linux / Fedora Core
setup tools, until a better integration is achieved.

Note that the rpms are based on the developer's release, and I haven't
found time to do any serious testing yet. Therefore they are marked as
"bleeding" and are in general not for the faint of heart. Furthermore
the src.rpm are using macros from the ATrpms build system that need to
be exported in a package of their own. E.g. in order to build from
src.rpms you will currently need to provide these macros for your
system yourself.

Feel free to test and report bugs them here on in PM.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de