[Openswan Users] L2TP + Openswan

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Tue Dec 14 17:14:47 CET 2004

Giovani Moda wrote:

> I have Openswan up and running on a Fedora Core 2 box, Jacco's rp-l2tp
> and pppd 2.4.3. The XP box (SP2) can tunnel up just fine. But that's
> about it.

It Works For Me (tm). I am using the following on FC2:

kernel-2.6.5-1.358
openswan-2.2.0-2
rp-l2tp-0.4-1jdl
ppp-2.4.2-2

I mainly tested with Windows 2000 but I don't see why XP SP2 should not
work, especially since there is no NAT involved. You are using the Wizard,
right? You're not manually creating an IPsec policy for a PSK?

> # Bind address
> listen-port 1701
> listen-addr A.B.C.D

What happens if you comment out the listen-addr? Is A.B.C.D your external
address?

rp-l2tp does not support IP pools if you don't use the RADIUS plugin. This
make l2tpd slightly easier to use for simple setups. You can of course use
static IP addresses with rp-l2tp but for some this is a limitation.

I'm not sure what the best way is to support multiple clients with rp-l2tp
without using a RADIUS server.  Perhaps Norbert can comment on this? Do you
simply create multiple 'peer sections' with different remote IP addresses?
I don't understand how this will support road warriors.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl