[Openswan Users] Newbie question concerning openswan start.

Johannes Graumann graumann at caltech.edu
Thu Dec 2 13:13:28 CET 2004

Hello,

I have recently succeeded IPSECing my wireless home network using
openswan on my debian systems.
There is one minor annoyance though, which I can't get rid of:
- when starting my firewall/dhcp-server/ipsec entry point, openswan
seems to come up.
- when trying to connect from my laptop, I get an error and upon
research on the server (/etc/init.d/ipsec status) I'm being told that
IPSEC isn't running, but an orphaned pluto process is.
- /etc/init.d/ipsec start solves my problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any hints, ipsec.conf attached below.

Joh

# /etc/ipsec.conf - Openswan IPsec configuration file
# RCSID $Id: ipsec.conf.in,v 1.13 2004/03/24 04:14:39 ken Exp $

# This file:  /usr/share/doc/openswan/ipsec.conf-sample
#
# Manual:     ipsec.conf.5

version 2.0     # conforms to second version of ipsec.conf specification

config setup
        interfaces="ipsec0=eth1"
        nat_traversal=yes
        virtual_private=%v4:192.168.1.0/24

conn %default
        keyingtries=1
        compress=yes
        disablearrivalcheck=no
        authby=rsasig
        leftrsasigkey=%cert
        rightrsasigkey=%cert

conn wireless-precious
        left=192.168.1.3
        leftcert=precious.homenetwork.pem
        right=192.168.1.1
        rightcert=morannon.homenetwork.pem
        rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
        auto=add
        pfs=yes

conn wireless-palantir
        left=192.168.1.6
        leftcert=palantir.homenetwork.pem
        right=192.168.1.1
        rightcert=morannon.homenetwork.pem
        rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
        auto=add
        pfs=yes

#Disable Opportunistic Encryption
include /etc/ipsec.d/examples/no_oe.conf