[Openswan Users] MD5 cracked

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom chrome at real-time.com
Wed Aug 18 22:04:44 CEST 2004

On 08/19 01:29 , Jacco de Leeuw wrote:

> I understand that MD5 has been cracked. Collisions have been found
> which does not make MD5 suitable for general use anymore.
> More info at: http://www.rtfm.com/movabletype/

by the sound of it, it hasn't been 'cracked' the way MD4 has been (i.e. a
simpler-than-brute-force attack has been found). it's just that some people
claim to have a way to find collisions in the hashes; which is still a long
way from being able to generate arbitrary traffic and insert it into a
stream, or read an encrypted connection in a reasonable amount of time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator