[Openswan Users] can browse internet, cannot ping with l2tpd/pppd

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Tue Aug 17 11:42:43 CEST 2004

David Bernick wrote:

> /sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -s $EXTERNAL_IP -p udp -m udp --sport 1701 -j
> ACCEPT
>
> When I replace ACCEPT with DROP it doesn't connect at all.

Huh? If it only works when you ACCEPT, then you seem to be using plaintext L2TP.

Did you use Marcus Müller's IPSEC.EXE tool before, or a third-party IPsec
client? Then you might need to remove the registry key
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rasman\Parameters\prohibitipsec
or change the value of this key to 0. Plus a reboot.

> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
> Default Gateway: 10.51.0.166
>
> Should I be seeing more a traditional network?

No, this is normal because it is a point-to-point connection.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl