[Openswan Users] Open Source Developer Contest - Assistance Request ( Openswan 2.x )

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Aug 16 15:48:45 CEST 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Ted Kaczmarek wrote:

> The maintainers are not allowed to enter a contest in relation to
> that/their own project.

So the most qualified people to help you add support for your specific
needs cannot help you. But you do expect them to fold back any changes
by some less knowledable third party to be included in future versions
of the opensource project?

> Sure, we want OpenSource to work with OUR hardware, but we won't let it
> benefit other hardware users.

Doesn't sound like you want OpenSource to me.

The idea behind GPL, and the idea behind Xelerance, is that people who
need a certain feature or certain platform to be supported, can pay us
to get that feature (either at all, or faster then if we would have to
code it without being paid, we need to earn a living too). Such a
feature would end up within the GPL code, and would thus benefit
everyone.

You cannot ask for "opensource development" for "just your hardware". In
fact, if you find someone for your challenge, and they code up something,
and you go redistribute it, you need to release that code under GPL
anyway, which means with full source code. If you end up needing to do all
of this, why not simply talk to the maintainers and see what they can do
to help you get your platform supported? And yes, the more money you throw
at it, the more we can focus on your request.