[Openswan Users] Fwd: problem with RSA private key (SOLVED)

David Clymer david at hrcsb.org
Fri Aug 13 15:51:08 CEST 2004

Thus quoth Nate Carlson:
> To: users at lists.openswan.org
> From: Nate Carlson <natecars at natecarlson.com>
> Subject: Re: [Openswan Users] Fwd: problem with RSA private key
>
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, David Clymer wrote:
> >  When I attempt to bring up the connection, it fails, claiming that it
> >  cannot find my RSA key.
>
> *snip*
>
> >  I'm sure that I must be overlooking something, but I dont see what the
> >  problem could be. If anyone has a suggestion that might put me on the
> >  right track, I'd appreciate it greatly.
>
> Have you checked the startup messages from Openswan? They should include
> details on why it couldn't load your key.

Yeah, I did. It turns out that the problem was a leftover from my
attempt using freeswan. I still had the old /etc/x509cert.der that
several howtos had indicated was necessary, and openswan was reading it
(though it wasnt showing up in the logs anywhere that I saw) and then
was unable to find the matching private key because I had changed keys
in the mean time. Once I deleted that, every thing worked fine.

thanks for the suggestions,

-davidc