[Openswan Users] CA passwords

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Apr 27 13:12:35 CEST 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Brad Chang wrote:

> when you create a windows x.509 certificate and then import it to the windows
> machine you require a password.  it is the same password as you use to creat
> the certificate from teh CA Server.. now is it possible to create the
> certificate but with a different password for each certificate>?  I dont think

You have a password on the CA, a password on the certificate, and a password
on the p12 file ('export password').

You can set all of them without a password. For the export password, Windows
will still prompt you, but you can just select 'next'.

For the first two, you can remove the password with

openssl rsa -in filename -out filename

I assume a similar thing can be done for p12 files using

/usr/bin/openssl pkcs12 -export -in filename -out filename

but I always just set the expot password to <return> when I create
the p12 file if I dont want a password on it.