[Openswan Users] Help! - Unable to send email (exchange/mapi) with attachments from remote (VPN connected) site using WinXP

Ken Bantoft ken at xelerance.com
Mon Apr 26 18:30:27 CEST 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Darius wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We want to switch our remote office Win2K desktops to WinXP (Ok, ok - if
> you are already jeering then please know that closed, proprietry OS's
> are not my first choice either). Our remote offices use FreeSWAN (1.97
> on RH 7.3) to get to an Exchange 5.5 server at our head office (where
> Debian, RH  and snapgear(linux/FreeSWAN) are used on servers, routers).
> All Win2K/XP desktops are using Outlook 2000 (MAPI) to communicate with
> Exchange.
>
> Posting this problem here and expecting a soltion might be a longshot;
> chances are this isn't a FreeSWAN config problem, but my testing
> environment can't eliminate our FreeSWAN VPN setup from being part of
> the problem at the moment. I'm hoping someone with a similar environment
> will see this and have some constructive suggestions about how to fix
> this problem, or diagnose the problem without replacing FreeSWAN with
> another VPN product, or tell me that
> WinXP/Outlook2K/Exchange5.5/FreeSWAN works for them !

Set the MTU on the Exchange server to 1400.  I've dealt with similar
issues with Exchange - it seems the PMTU discovery breaks every other
service pack or so.

--
Ken Bantoft			VP Business Development
ken at xelerance.com		Xelerance Corporation

The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet.
        -- William Gibson