[Openswan Users] using openswan programmatically

David Mattes david.mattes at boeing.com
Fri Apr 2 11:41:02 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm writing a c++ program in which ipsec connections are brought up and
down.  I'm trying to figure out good (bulletproof) methods for handling
the myriad of possibilities while handling ipsec connections.  Some of
the issues/events I'm concerned about:
1.  What is the most reliable way to detect when a ipsec connection is
established, has failed, is down, is dropped, etc...?
2.  What signal should I wait on for connections to establish?
3.  What are the failure modes for the connection that I can monitor?

What have others done?  Any tips and ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
David