[Openswan dev] XAUTH Code for "Domain"

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jul 5 14:28:02 EDT 2011

Paul, et al...

I'm still up to my eyeballs in this XAUTH code (I sent you some
preliminary code in a private E-Mail) and debugging where the Cisco ASA
seems to stop talking and we start timing out.  Turns out that was not
the case and the ASA is really telling us to bugger off and we're
ignoring it.  I've got another engineer with and ASA and we're debugging
it from both ends.  We found out that the Cisco is not accepting any of
our phase2 algorithms but Openswan is ignoring the response:

| ***parse ISAKMP Hash Payload:
|    next payload type: ISAKMP_NEXT_N
|    length: 24
| got payload 0x800(ISAKMP_NEXT_N) needed: 0x0 opt: 0x0
| ***parse ISAKMP Notification Payload:
|    next payload type: ISAKMP_NEXT_NONE
|    length: 32
|    DOI: ISAKMP_DOI_IPSEC
|    protocol ID: 3
|    SPI size: 16
|    Notify Message Type: NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN
"Cisco" #1: ignoring informational payload, type NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN msgid=00000000
| info:  be f5 c3 66  3c a2 6e 29  32 50 c9 d3  40 5e 4b 45
| info:  5f 2e 86 6f
| processing informational NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN (14)
"Cisco" #1: received and ignored informational message
| complete state transition with STF_IGNORE
| * processed 0 messages from cryptographic helpers
| next event EVENT_RETRANSMIT in 10 seconds for #2
| next event EVENT_RETRANSMIT in 10 seconds for #2

Really???  Ignore it?  Shouldn't this be a big red letter horns a
blaring serious log warning and bitch back through whack and die error?
That's a major failure there.  If that's where this problem is, the
XAUTH Domain patches are looking better and better.

I know, I know...  "Patches welcome."

Regards,
Mike