[Openswan dev] XAUTH Code for "Domain"

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Jul 1 13:31:41 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 12:20 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 11:48 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >
> > > IAC...  Looking in programs/pluto/xauth.c down around line 1241 is a
> > > case statement checking the XAUTH attribute types.  That's only handling
> > > TYPE, USER_NAME, and PASSWORD - no DOMAIN.  That appears to be handling
> > > attribute responses, though (XAUTH Server?).
> >
> > > "nm-conn1" #1: XAUTH: Unsupported attribute: XAUTH-DOMAIN
> >
> > > So, it looks like that support is just not there.  In addition to the
> > > XAUTH code itself, this would also require some parameter support in the
> > > config files for a "domain" parameter.
> > >
> > > Thoughts?  Is this anything already on anyone's todo list?
>
> > Not that I know. Patches accepted :)

Oooo...  What am I getting myself into this time?  I need some advise
and I'm not sure who is most familiar with some of that XAUTH code and
the whack prompting code.

Ok...  The attribute handling code isn't that difficult and I think I
even figured out adding a {left|right}xauthdomain option and getting it
added to that big pack of strings between pluto and whack.  NOW I see
the mess with prompting for a Domain (or a Pin or a couple of other
things there in XAUTH).  What I found was whack_prompt only has two
cases switched on the echo parameter which prompts for either
"username" (echo = 0) or "password" (echo = 1).  It then calls whack_log
with either RC_XAUTHPROMPT for the username or RC_ENTERSECRET for the
password.  That propagates back into the message handling loop in whack
which then calls whack_get_value for the user name or whack_get_secret
for the password and each of those has their own prompts for "username"
and "password."  Sigh...

First temptation would be to add a prompt string into that whole mess
and keep the level of added code to a minimum.  Just one routine for
prompt with response echo and one for prompt with no response echo.
OTOH, that message handling loop is also switch on returning config
values, so that's not going to work.

It looks like I need to add additional ENUMS to that RC_ set and add new
branches throughout this code back through pluto and whack.

Either way, it looks like I'm going to need to touch a few more source
files than I had hoped to, originally.  Before I do that, I would like
to hear some opinions if adding to that ENUM is the correct path to take
or am I missing another option (no pun intended) here?

Regards,
Mike