[Openswan dev] "setting up openswan" on debian/ubuntu

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon May 17 19:51:08 EDT 2010

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Rene Mayrhofer wrote:

My ubuntu VM has now spend a few hours failing to generate an RSA key.

The reason Openswan does this on first start, and not during install, is
that it avoids a hanging install, which is exactly what I now have for
ubuntu/debian.

I strongly recommend you change the new rsa host key generation in such
a way that you ask the user during setup what they want, but you
actually generate it only during startup, which happens in the background
and does not cause the install or boot to hang.