[Openswan dev] [Openswan Users] Trying to get Openswan working Ubuntu to Cisco ASA 5510

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Mar 12 10:06:49 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 09:49 -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > This is the complete set of 24 proposals from vpnc
> >
> >  0 aes256-sha1-mod1024     XAUTHInitPreShared
> >  1 aes256-md5-mod1024      XAUTHInitPreShared
> >  2 aes192-sha1-mod1024     XAUTHInitPreShared
> >  3 aes192-md5-mod1024      XAUTHInitPreShared
> > * 4 aes128-sha1-mod1024     XAUTHInitPreShared
> >  5 aes128-md5-mod1024      XAUTHInitPreShared
> >  6 3des-sha1-mod1024       XAUTHInitPreShared
> >  7 3des-md5-mod1024        XAUTHInitPreShared
> >  8 des-sha1-mod1024        XAUTHInitPreShared
> >  9 des-md5-mod1024         XAUTHInitPreShared
> > 10 RESERVED-sha1-mod1024   XAUTHInitPreShared
> > 11 RESERVED-md5-mod1024    XAUTHInitPreShared

> Can you obtain the proposal numbers for "RESERVED"? perhaps by
> initiating vpnc against a pluto with plutodebug=all? It might
> be that our ietf_constants.h needs updating for a new cipher?
> (perhaps this is camellia?)

I had saved the trace from vpnc and was using wireshark to look at it.
Here's the details from each of those last two proposals.

Transform payload # 10
  Next payload: Transform (3)
  Payload length: 36
  Transform number: 10
  Transform ID: KEY_IKE (1)
  Encryption-Algorithm (1): RESERVED (0)
  Hash-Algorithm (2): SHA (2)
  Group-Description (4): Alternate 1024-bit MODP group
  (2)Authentication-Method (3): XAUTHInitPreShared (65001)
  Life-Type (11): Seconds (1)
  Life-Duration (12): Duration-Value (2147483)

Transform payload # 11
  Next payload: Transform (3)
  Payload length: 36
  Transform number: 11
  Transform ID: KEY_IKE (1)
  Encryption-Algorithm (1): RESERVED (0)
  Hash-Algorithm (2): MD5 (1)
  Group-Description (4): Alternate 1024-bit MODP group
  (2)Authentication-Method (3): XAUTHInitPreShared (65001)
  Life-Type (11): Seconds (1)
  Life-Duration (12): Duration-Value (2147483)

Ok...  That's just weird.  That doesn't make any sense to be proposing
encryption algorithm 0.  That really is reserved.  I think that must be
a bug in vpnc but I'll have to go back to the sources to double check
that one.  Maybe there's a reason and they have it commented.

> Which ones do we send?

0 - 7 match the ones we send with the ike string I sent in the earlier
message.

> > 12 aes256-sha1-mod1024     PSK
> > 13 aes256-md5-mod1024      PSK

> [...]

> Not sure about these. Without xauth perhaps?

That would kinda be my guess too, yeah.  Unless I actually caught a
working exchanged that used one of them, I don't know.  Maybe the
sources will give me a clue there as well.

> >> So currently ike=aes works, but ike=sha1 or ike=modp1024 does not. Ideally,
> >> that would be fixed.
> >
> > Cool.

> >> I'd say that's prob easier then the proposal code :)
> >
> > Before, I would have agreed.  Now having done it, this was a snap.  I
> > really hope you're right.  That must mean it'll be a walk in the park
> > for you.
>
> Except the Rolling Stones were wrong. Time is never on my side :P

I hear ya.  You and me both.

I'm going to start looking into those stray SA on --down and stray IP
addresses on unload problems.  They shouldn't be too hard to find but,
as you say...

> >> I have not yet looked at it, but will try to merge it in tomorrow.
> >
> > Very good.
>
> Paul

Regards,
Mike