[Openswan dev] Openswan patches (fwd)

Avesh Agarwal avagarwa at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 12:08:17 EDT 2010

On 07/10/2010 02:00 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> You're looking for input from others as well.....
>
> Paul
>
> | From: Paul Wouters<paul at xelerance.com>
> | To: Avesh Agarwal<avagarwa at redhat.com>
> | Cc: D. Hugh Redelmeier<hugh at mimosa.com>
> | Subject: Re: Openswan patches
> |
> | On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Avesh Agarwal wrote:
> |
> |>  Are you planning to read secrets from standard input (stdin) too?
> |
> | I was thinking of only via whack, but if it can be done securely via
> | stdin, that could be an option too.
>
> Who would read secrets for stdin?  Certainly not Pluto -- that's not a
> reasonable change.  For one thing, Pluto should not block.  Whack
> could read stdin if that were desirable.

That is right. I am suggesting that whack can read the secrets from
stdin written in the same format as of ipsec.secrets, parse them, and
pass them to pluto in the whack messsage.
> What is the idea behind secrets from stdin?

NetworkManager assumes that information (connection configurations and
secrets) entered by users should not be written to the file system.

Avesh