[Openswan dev] [Openswan Users] Ipsec configuration Lucent VPN Gateway with OpenSwan or others (Lucent IPSec Client 9.2.0 in Windows XP)

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Feb 25 11:51:58 EST 2010

Paul, et al.

Ok...  Adding the dev at openswan.org list to this one at this point.

I've finally isolated the problem down with OpenSwan 2.6.23 and 2.6.24
failing to talk with the Cisco ASA 3000.  Symptoms are the connection
comes up but we can't ping across the tunnel and there are no tunnel
related addresses or routes in the tables.  Debugging "_updown.netkey"
revealed that it was failing to add the addresses and routes with "ip
addr replace" and "ip route replace" both returning "RTNETLINK:
Operation not permitted".  Disabling selinux didn't help so I went
hunting down anything to do with capabilities and found that there had
been some changes in 2.6.23 to do with LIBCAP_NG.  Found that Fedora has
"%define USE_LIBCAP_NG 1" in the spec file for building the rpms.
Changed that to "%define USE_LIBCAP_NG 0" and rebuild and it now works.
So something appears to be broken in dropping capabilities in pluto at
this time.  Code looked right to me but it's definitely no workie and
making that change to not do that fixed the problem I was seeing where
2.6.22 worked on Ubuntu and 2.6.23/4 failed on Fedora.