[Openswan dev] problem with ASSERTION FAILED

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Feb 4 09:26:30 EST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, David McCullough wrote:

>> Something has really broken in openswan-2.6. ASSERT doesn't cause core
>> dump any more. This makes it quite much harder to debug problems.
>>
>> Anybody know how to fix this?
>
> Looks to me like ASSERT is not used anywhere in openswan.
>
> There is passert() and some others in openswan/passert.h.  This
> needs DEBUG to be defined.
>
> You should be able to call assert().
>
> Have a look around the code for assertions and follow their example,

What Tuomo is saying is that the assert/passert calls seem to cause
openswan to crash now, instead of producing a core dump. I do think
there is a problem now with this mechanism. This is also causing
plutorun issues where plutorun is no longer starting a new pluto
process when it detects pluto has crashed.