[Openswan dev] cryptotest bandwidth units

David McCullough david_mccullough at mcafee.com
Wed Dec 22 10:07:31 EST 2010

Jivin Simon Deziel lays it down ...
> Cryptotest outputs bandwidth the results in byte/sec and Mb/sec and this
> confuses me a bit. I'd like to know if cryptotest is mostly used to
> benchmark network related crypto or if the same crypto framework is
> generic enough to be used for storage encryption.
>
> If mostly network related, I would expect the output units to be in
> bit/sec and in Mbit/sec where Mbit = bit/(1000*1000).
>
> If not exclusively related to network, it think it feels more natural to
> use byte/sec and MB/sec where MB = byte/(1024*1024).
>
> Current output :
> # ./cryptotest -a aes 25000 1488
> 1.676 sec, 50000 aes crypts, 1488 bytes, 44402747 byte/sec, 338.8 Mb/sec
>
> Expected output in bit/sec (network style) :
> # ./cryptotest -a aes 25000 1488
> 1.676 sec, 50000 aes crypts, 1488 bytes, 355221976 bit/sec, 355.2 Mb/sec
>
> Expected output in byte/sec (storage style) :
> # ./cryptotest -a aes 25000 1488
> 1.676 sec, 50000 aes crypts, 1488 bytes, 44402747 byte/sec, 42.35 MB/sec

Well,  its neither in a sense.  AFAIK it was written as a test app to
exercise the cryptoapi from user space and report some interesting figures.
That in mind I would say it measures crypto,  whether it be for networking,
file encryption or disk storage.

I am happy to take patches to output different formats or at least make it
obvious what the units are.

To be honest,  I have always used openssl speed to get real results,
especially since this is a user space test.

If you want kernel speed you need to use something like the ocf-bench
module,

Cheers,
Davidm

--