[Openswan dev] ocf-bench bug & performance :)

David McCullough david_mccullough at mcafee.com
Mon Dec 20 06:17:40 EST 2010

Jivin Paul Wouters lays it down ...
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2010, Harald Jenny wrote:
>
> >> [  460.738971] OCF: 100035 requests of 1488 bytes in 49 jiffies (2430.238 Mbps)
> >
> > Did you use a HW driver or just cryptoapi?
>
> Just cryptosoft. No HW driver. (no cryptoapi, but ocf)

Yeah,  but cryptosoft is calling into cryptoapi to do the actual crypto.

So basically this is an in kernel benchmark of the OCF API using only the
in kernel cryptoapi to do software based encrption across all 8 cores.

In theory this is how fast ipsec could go if klips added no overhead.
I think this should be goood enough to comfortably get us to 1Gbps of
ipsec throughput.  Only a real test will tell, SMP performance is fickle and
any misbehaviour with klips could blow this out.  It will be good to see
the real ipsec results, for better or worse :-)

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough,      david_mccullough at mcafee.com,  Ph:+61 734352815