[Openswan dev] openswan 2.6.24 and kernels > 2.6.31 mostly working

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Dec 28 11:11:45 EST 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Michael Richardson wrote:

> I didn't entirely have any intention of supporting older kernels in the
> work that I did.
>
> My opinion is that the time to maintain KLIPS that works on multiple
> kernels is over: that there should be a patch set for each kernel
> version, maintained (rebased) atop the 2.6.X.Y trees.

A wide variety of kernels is still in use. While I can see we don't need
to support every single kernel version, we still need to support very
different kernels. Ranging from 2.6.18 (RHEL/centos) to 2.4 (embedded)
to 2.6.32 (fedora). Similar versioning for other vendors applies.

Gutting klips will certainly help somewhat in this task. Ideally, only
crypto through cryptoapi should be supported.