[Openswan dev] GSoC 2009 participation

Mesut Can Gürle mesutcang at comu.edu.tr
Mon Apr 6 14:15:20 EDT 2009

Hi,
I don't know is it the wright place to write this e-mail but in gsoc I
can only find this mailing list.
I submit my proposal for dnssec. Can you critise my participation please?

Abstract:
For automated discovery of DNSSEC domains we have to build a database
which has records of discovered domains. It is not enough to keep them
in database and also recorded domains must have to be tested
regularly. Because database must be up to date. Also records must be
categorised as in http://www.xelerance.com/dnssec/. For automation of
discovering domains an inputbox can be inserted in the page that
anyone who wants to register its domain can enter domain name. This
automation will run as a dnslookup search. A user will enter the
domain name and the application will handle the request and will test
the domain for a DNSSEC request and will be looking for the apply. And
the application will use geoip for detecting the location of the
country. If the apply for the request(such as dns look up and reverse
dns records) is equal to the user's entered domain, this domain will
be added into the database with its condition. For the main page,
Google MAPS APIv2 can be used to show the domains which is using
DNSSEC as in http://www.xelerance.com/dnssec/ but some changes can be
added. For example mor professional looking of api can be replaced.
Marks that shows domains can be changed. And some other features of
google map api can be added.
Content:

Personal Information

    * name:Mesut Can Gürle
    * email:mesutcang at comu.edu.tr
    * IM (on your preferred protocol):mesutcang at jabber.com
    * IRC nick on freenode:MesutCanGurle
    * phone :+905554083771
    * timezone:GMT +2 hours

Background

    * I am attendind at Çanakkale 18 Mart University(www.comu.edu.tr)
in Turkey in Computer Science. This is my 4th(last) year in school. I
will graduate as high honor student with best degree in my class.
    * I have programming experience in java j2ee jsp jsf as IBM
contest project(www.yazilimakademisi.org). php css javascript ajax
application experience with Konat (www.konat.net). I have been working
at My school's Information Head Office as a part-time student for 2
years. In Head office we serv all services
(http,dns,mail,dhcp,mysql,some depositories for linux distros such as
Debian, Pardus etc. I have set up the DNS server of my school. It runs
on debian and we use Bind9. In head office I have coded a dhcp log
analyzer in python.
    * I have fimiliar with open source for 4 years. I make packages
for Pardus Linux distribution and I am in the test team of it. And I
helped debian-tr mailing list to Turkish people.
    * I use Linux for servers, Desktop computers and my laptop. On
servers we prefer Debian. On desktop we support Pardus Linux so we use
it. Pardus is mostly coded in Python. As a Pardus' Network Manager I
use the code of 802.1x authentication.
    * I generally write codes in Python and Java. I have experience
with Python for 3 years and have experience in Java for 2 years. For
GUI I prefer Qt.
    * Also I have experience in IPv6 too. I have localized some
documents from English to Turkish.

Project

    * IPv6 becoming more popular nowadays. Using IPv6 is a must for
projects. We can implement some benefits of IPv6 in application. I
have not think more on it but as log as I finished my work on this
project I want to work on IPv6 support.
    * I have experience in networking and also programming. And I love
it. I pay attention on this project because of my interests. This
project fits in my interests and experience.
    * I will graduate this year and I will be free to October 2009
because of military obligation. During this period I want to have
experience in gsoc.
         1. As beginning if I accepted. First I will learn about
coding in DNSSEC and begin blogging on this issue.
         2. Then I will write the hard job of this project which is
discovering a domain. 1st June I will be coding the whole system. Then
1 st July I hve some experience in Google Maps API and will improve my
experience and 1st August I will distribute the application and begin
testing.  In August I want to add some spesific jobs for the
application. Some requirements can be added.
         3. I will be writing a blog for this project and will be in
touch with my mentor. I will write weekly report. When the application
ends we will deliver this application in GPL and documentation will be
added by me.
         4. Discovering the domain checking DNSKEY can be most hard
part of this project but I do not think it would too hard.

Project-specific Assignments

DNSSEC

    * * what is the DNS signature for www.nist.gov?
; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P1 <<>> +dnssec www.nist.gov
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags: do; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.nist.gov.                  IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.nist.gov.           1800    IN      CNAME   www-14.nist.gov.
www-14.nist.gov.        1800    IN      A       129.6.13.45

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
nist.gov.               58160   IN      NS      ns1.nist.gov.
nist.gov.               58160   IN      NS      dns-x.boulder.nist.gov.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dns-x.boulder.nist.gov. 80796   IN      A       132.163.4.9

;; Query time: 492 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Mar 28 02:50:25 2009
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 140

    *
    * Otomating DNS queries is usefull but without encription it is a
weakness.

- --
Best Regards,
Mesut Can Gürle