[Openswan dev] Support for hardware random number generators

Vrabete, Brad brad.vrabete at intel.com
Thu Nov 20 06:57:06 EST 2008

I agree; but a proper HW RNG will provide quality random data without the 3
SHA operations performed in the kernel. Under heavy IPsec traffic, these 3
SHA operations are getting quite a good share of the computing power
available. One could squeeze more of an (especially embedded) IPsec box if
these operations would not be performed. Of course, the assumption is the HW
RNG is a proper one and provides quality random data.

>The difference is that OCF only adds to the pool when it is
>running low (high demand for random data),  the HD/block dev
>entropy just adds to it all the time.  You do not want OCF
>doing this or it will be constantly adding to the pool and
>using valuable CPU time ;-)
>You could,  it you wanted,  mod the OCF patch to always top up
>the random pool.  This would be a small patch,  but as I said,
> it wouldn't really gain you anything.

I was thinking to leave OCF RNG thread as it is (generate random data when
entropy pool is empty) and disable entropy generation on disk
access/interrupts. That way OCF will generate random data only when needed.
One could also compile out the FIPS check, if there is confidence in the
quality of the HW RNG.

Thanks,

Brad