[Openswan dev] Support for hardware random number generators

Vrabete, Brad brad.vrabete at intel.com
Wed Nov 19 11:42:02 EST 2008

Hi Paul,

That's exactly what I'm running now  but I'm concerned about performance:
rngd is running in the user space and all these user space to kernel (and
back) transfers are using processor time.  I was trying to find a way to use
a proper HW RNG (no streams of 0, FIPS compliant) without having to use
rngd. I know OCF adds that but the OCF function does not get called on a
system with a HD, due to the way Linux's entropy pool is filled (on every
disk access and/or interrupt). Any suggestions?

Are you using get_random_bytes in Openswan?

Thanks,

Brad