[Openswan dev] FreeSwan/uClinux using pluto and whack: ipsec0 not found

aparna.dutta aparna.dutta at jasmin-infotech.com
Tue Jan 29 08:03:41 EST 2008

On second look, I find that the README in the Freeswan directory reads
version 1.97. (I got version 1.92 from the version.c file, which was
probably not updated)

This Freeswan comes packaged along with the latest uClinux distribution.
It has been ported by the uclinux developers, but I am not sure how much it
has been used and tested. But I found that it takes care of some non-MMU
requirements, such as avoiding the fork() function in Pluto. I am able to
run Pluto and also a couple of whack commands without any errors on our
non-MMU embedded device.

Openswan has also been ported to the uClinux distribution, but the code
contains fork().So Pluto stops with errors (cannot start child process,
among other things). This was the reason we started testing with Freeswan.

Is there someway we can still build the ipsec module and get this Freeswan
version to work on our embedded device with uClinux?

Thanks and regards,
Aparna