[Openswan dev] Openswan on uClinux

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Dec 18 12:46:27 EST 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, aparna.dutta wrote:

> But we noticed another issue while testing Openswan between 2 Suse-Linux
> machines. We have set up a tunnel between the two and can clearly see ESP
> packets being exchanged. But one of the machines does not encrypt TCP
> packets sometimes. Using Ethereal, we see some TCP packets among the ESP
> packets. This is happening in only one of the machines, the other one sends
> only ESP packets.

Are the packets that are not encrypted non-initial fragments of TCP ?

Are you using NETKEY or KLIPS?

On NETKEY, fragmentation happens before the ipsec stack is hit, so NETKEY
happilly encrypts the first fragment (the one which contains the port numbers)
The second fragment will not match an ipsec selector, and will therefor not
get encrypted.

KLIPS does not have this issue, because KLIPS ipsec0 interfaces have an mtu of
16384, and so KLIPS is responsible for fragmenting and does so correctly for
all fragments.

> Does this indicate any specific configuration problem?

If you are using NETKEY, you just ran into a KAME issue. AFAIK, there is no
solution for this on the KAME stack.