[Openswan dev] KLIPS and Fedora kernels

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Oct 12 23:22:36 CEST 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Johannes Walch wrote:

> Before I had a look into the Fedora kernels I made some tests with the newest
> vanilla kernel and I discovered there is some small problem/error message
> when I unload the ipsec module just after loading it. It does unload
> correctly though and the machine keeps stable, but see below for more,
> though!

Yes. module unloading on 2.6 kernels is problematic and can cause problems.

> Interestingly enough when I start the ipsec service something crashes. I have
> included a part of the error messages. Tell me if you need more or higher
> debug level. This leads me to the conclusion that the problems are not
> necessarily tied to the Fedora kernel but rather to newer kernel versions.
>
> Oct 10 14:49:33 wsjo kernel: EIP:    0060:[<c0331f32>]    Not tainted VLI
> Oct 10 14:49:33 wsjo kernel: EFLAGS: 00010246   (2.6.13.3)
> Oct 10 14:49:33 wsjo kernel: EIP is at sk_alloc+0x182/0x190

I assume this is 2.6.12 or 2.6.13.x ?
There have been changes to sk_alloc(), which we thought we fixed with the
NET_26_SKALLOC define, but perhaps it changed again? We have not looked at
the 2.6.13.X kernels at this point.

"Happiness is never grand"

 	--- Mustapha Mond, World Controller (Brave New World)