[Openswan dev] Small optimisation for lots of interfaces

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Fri Nov 25 09:42:35 CET 2005

Jivin Paul Wouters lays it down ...
> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, David McCullough wrote:
>
> > Using simple tunnels (ie., same two hosts,  same secret, lots of networks)
> > I have seen the following pluto silently exit sometime between 1000 and
> > 2000 tunnels.  I cannot remember f I saw it crash or not in this
> > scenario.  Each tunnel was exercised as it came up to enure data would
> > pass through ok.
>
> I would really like to see the core files of pluto dying in such case.
> We did not observe this behaviour when we did testing with thousands of
> tunnels over a year and a half ago when running against an (Ixia?) IPsec
> testbox.

Confirmed today that there are no core dumps,  just the mystery exit
and the in other case tunnels were getting torn down.

Our platforms can't easily dump core (or filesystems etc),  but we print
a dump when they crash which usually gives us enough to find the
problem.  You would need arm-linux tools to debug the core either way ;-)

> > Some of the problems we have seen are were related to dead peer code.
> > Once you get a significant tunnel count you need to backoff the DPD
> > timers quite a bit or pluto starts pulling tunnels down.
>
> If you are congested, and are dropping DPD packets, then sure this will
> happen. That's why some call it "make deads". If your bandwidth is
> congested, and you are using DPD, then you will lose tunnels. The fix is
> to buy more bandwidth, or disable DPD. Or if you can, somehow give DPD
> packets a higher priority then other packets, but I'm not sure if you
> can use QoS there.

Yeah,  I realise that,  but customers being what they are,  they want
DPD,  so we just need to adjust it till it's not the problem.

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security