[Openswan dev] Small optimisation for lots of interfaces

Ken Bantoft ken at xelerance.com
Thu Nov 24 23:24:33 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, David McCullough wrote:

> Jivin Michael Richardson lays it down ...

>>     David> counts using OpenSwan.  I have run over 1000 simple tunnels
>>     David> between two hosts using freeswan (ie., single SA for all
>>     David> tunnels), but pluto seems to get unstable with much over 200
>>     David> truly independant tunnels.  Has any one else has this
>>     David> experience ?
>>
>>   Define "unstable".
>
> Using simple tunnels (ie., same two hosts,  same secret, lots of networks)
> I have seen the following pluto silently exit sometime between 1000 and
> 2000 tunnels.  I cannot remember f I saw it crash or not in this
> scenario.  Each tunnel was exercised as it came up to enure data would
> pass through ok.

Just finishing bringing up 5080 tunnels (/32 to /32's).  Certainly took
awhile, but they connected up okay.  They were between 2 hosts, so shared
the same ISAKMP SA.  Also didn't test traffic, as I didn't have a spare
box to throw in my basement, and nor could I get one in place today at the
colo (1 peer in Toronto on DSL, one in Amsterdam @ xs4all).

> Unfortunately the other developer who was testing a true star topology
> is out today so I could not confirm the details.  But IIRC,  somewhere
> around 300 truly different tunnels (different hosts/secrets/certs) pluto
> would either crash or exit (not sure which).

I'm going to see if I can do something better next month to generate more
variants on the connections.

Ken