[Openswan dev] Small optimisation for lots of interfaces

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Thu Nov 24 20:10:40 CET 2005

Jivin Michael Richardson lays it down ...

>     David> counts using OpenSwan.  I have run over 1000 simple tunnels
>     David> between two hosts using freeswan (ie., single SA for all
>     David> tunnels), but pluto seems to get unstable with much over 200
>     David> truly independant tunnels.  Has any one else has this
>     David> experience ?
>
>   Define "unstable".

Using simple tunnels (ie., same two hosts,  same secret, lots of networks)
I have seen the following pluto silently exit sometime between 1000 and
2000 tunnels.  I cannot remember f I saw it crash or not in this
scenario.  Each tunnel was exercised as it came up to enure data would
pass through ok.

Unfortunately the other developer who was testing a true star topology
is out today so I could not confirm the details.  But IIRC,  somewhere
around 300 truly different tunnels (different hosts/secrets/certs) pluto
would either crash or exit (not sure which).

Some of the problems we have seen are were related to dead peer code.
Once you get a significant tunnel count you need to backoff the DPD
timers quite a bit or pluto starts pulling tunnels down.

>   Have you tried LEAK_DETECTIVE?

No,  haven't heard of it :-)  If it checks for memory leaks then I don't
think this is the problem,  it is not running out of memory at least.

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough, davidm at cyberguard.com.au, Custom Embedded Solutions + Security