[Openswan dev] 2.4.29, ipsec.o busy

Marcin Prejsnar alex-ipsec at pronet.pl
Tue Mar 1 14:00:44 CET 2005

Hello,
I have this behavior (identical on two different machines). After successful
(or not successfull) established ipsec connection between two machines, I
can't remove module ipsec.o from the kernel.
Here is more detailed process:

$host> /etc/init.d/ipsec start
$host> lsmod
   Module                  Size  Used by
   ipsec                 329664       3

$client> ipsec auto --up roadwarrior     (this is on client machine)

$host> lsmod
   Module                  Size  Used by
   ipsec                 329664     17

--- connection was successful, now I can stop or delete the connection:
$client> ipsec auto --down roadwarrior    (on client machine)

$host> /etc/init.d/ipsec stop
ipsec_setup: Stopping Openswan IPsec...
ipsec_setup: ipsec: Device or resource busy

--- connection was stopped, processes was killed, interfaces (ipsec0)
 deleted, but still:
$host> lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipsec                 329664     14

--- after several connection restarts, I have:
$host> lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ipsec                 329664     424

Must be something wrong....
I use:
- opsenswan-2.3.0,
- kernel 2.4.29 with klips, and nat-t patches
- ipsec-tools-0.2.5

Regards,
Marcin Prejsnar