[Openswan dev] Openswan patches for better rpm and OCSP support

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Dec 4 10:19:34 CET 2005

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Alain RICHARD wrote:

> I am investigating theses problems and I would like to know if there is any
> particular reasons for openswan beeing not more in sync with the strongswan
> project ?

I did not mean to actually skip answering this question.

When Openswan started as the successor to FreeS/WAN, the first thing we did
was merge in the X.509 patches from Andreas. He was unhappy with how we
merged in the code and he decided to go his own way.

Xelerance has not received any inquiries for including the functionality that
Andreas has added to the X.509 patch since our paths diverged. Instead, our
customers were interested in other features such as Aggressive Mode (for Cisco
interop), L2TP enhancments, ModeConfig and XAUTH, hardware acceleration, KLIPS
on the 2.6 kernel, high performance tuning and ports to embedded devices and
Microsoft Windows, and thanks to those customers we have been able to extend
Openswan with those features.

If we receive inquiries in the future for such things as OCSP, we will gladly
use those resources to add that functionality to Openswan.