[Openswan dev] Openswan patches for better rpm and OCSP support

Alain RICHARD alain.richard at equation.fr
Fri Dec 2 12:24:45 CET 2005

I have submitted a bug report and the corresponding patch report for
some issues in openswan 2.4.4.

The addressed issues are :

- the rpm spec file is missing folders needed for x509 support (/etc/
ipsec.d/{aacerts,cacerts,certs,crls,ocspcerts,private})
- OCSP support is not correctly built because pluto makefile is
missing some definitions
- the rpm spec file do not ask for LDAP, CURL and THREADS support
that are needed for OCSP support. As the Redhat and Fedora projects
addressed by this spec file do support all theses three
functionalities, I have enabled them per default.
- openswan may be built with some weak stuff (as far as security is
concerned) : DH group 1, Single DES and Null ESP encryption. Per
default theses functionnalities are not built, but there is a flag
(USE_WEAKSTUFF) that currently enables DH1 and you may add #defines
to built the other two functionnalities. I propose that USE_WEAKSTUFF
cover also the built of 1DES and NULL_ESP.
- per default the rpm spec file do not enables the WEAKSTUFF. I have
added a define that enables to build a rpm with the WEAKSTUFF enabled
using "rpmbuild -ta --define useweakstuff=true openswan-xxx.tar.gz".
This do not change the fact that openswan per default do not support
theses weak stuff, but enables persons who need them (and there are
cases where this is really needed) to use them (and in fact this is
already possible as the source code support it).

You'll find the corresponding description and patch here :

http://bugs.xelerance.com/view.php?id=526

I have also looked at the OCSP support and it seams that it is not
completly working yet. This code is old and have some bugs that where
corrected in the strongswan project.

I am investigating theses problems and I would like to know if there
is any particular reasons for openswan beeing not more in sync with
the strongswan project ? Is somebody working in merging more
strongswan functionnalities (like CRL caching and CA Management) ?
Also the documentation of the StrongSwan project is more complete
than the one in openswan, is there any reasons not to include it ?

If there is nobody working on it and if Andreas is OK, I may spent
some time to port more stuff from Andreas' project to openswan.

Regards,

--
Alain RICHARD <mailto:alain.richard at equation.fr>
EQUATION SA <http://www.equation.fr/>