[Openswan dev] Re: Openswan 2.4.0dr9 multiple defaultroute patch

JuanJo Ciarlante jjo-ipsec at mendoza.gov.ar
Thu Aug 18 11:00:28 CEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 10:39:48AM -0400, mcr at xelerance.com wrote:

>     Dirk> Mmh, I can see all aliases with "ip addr" without problems:
>
>   That's not the point.
>   The point is that addresses/aliases created with "ip addr" can not
> been seen with "ifconfig -a" (aka SIOCGCONF-ioctl).

As the original author of the IP aliasing (good'ol 90s daysss) I give some
hints.

Back in '95 Alan Cox precisely pointed me the very same situation about aliasing:
the addresses should be visible under SIOCGCONF (mainly for compat./support the
networking dæmons that go thru iface lists). That was the main reason to
create the dev:num syntax.

With most linux-2.2 network rewriting by Alexey, aliasing and other pieces
were finally integrated w/routing and 1-to-1 devicename-address relationship was
made _optional_ and IIRC "to-be-deprecated" in favour of netlink semantics.

Now, if you want that aliases to be visible, create them using "label" option, eg.:
    ip addr add dev eth0 ADDR/MASK label eth0:0

, note that after an ':' comes ANY string ...
    ip addr add dev eth0 ADDR/MASK label eth0:

Also beware that ifconfig cuts interfaces names at 8 chars.

Regards =)

--
--Juanjo

#  Juan Jose Ciarlante (JuanJo) jjo ;at; mendoza.gov.ar                     #
#  GnuPG Public Key: gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-key 66727177 #
#   Key fingerprint: 0D2F 3E5D 8B5C 729E 0560  F453 A3F7 E249 6672 7177     #